A holistic approach to 'living your best life', is living well. With intention, purpose and full of meaningful connection.

Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Hi guys! So I'm currently in my last year of sixth form and I am hopefully going to university in September! I thought it would be a good idea to share some of the university preparation I've been doing!




So just a bit of info, I'm studying Health & Social care BTEC (equiv. 2 A levels) & Sociology A-Level. I am going to be studying Child Nursing in September. I go to a sixth form in London and plan on going to stay in London for University!


MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION 

Okay ive put this first because its the most important thing! You must have already applied to university through UCAS (if in the uk). Most people have already received offers from some if not all of your universities and now its crunch time! 
Where is everyone going? What city is going to bang? What uni has the livest parties? Where can I find a Bae? If these are the first questions going through your mind yeah, are you SURE your going uni for the right reasons?? Forget what everyone is doing! This is one of the most important choices you are going to make in your live so make it wisely! solely depending on what is best for you! 


Everyone's path is different and people go to uni for different reasons! So why are you going? 
Questions that you should thinking are What uni do I choose? What uni is best for my course? How many graduates get jobs within 6 months? What are the statistics like? Where can I afford to live? What uni will look better on my CV when im in the Job Market? etc. 
I had no clue what uni I wanted to go to but after doing a shit ton of research I made my five choices and out of those five I knew what university would be the absolute best place for me to go! 
So what ever university you choose as your firm and insurance PLEASE Make a very informed decision !
I used websites different websites to research, went to open days and just shopped around for a bit! 

 SET CLEAR AND ACHIEVABLE TARGETS

Once you receive offers you know exactly what grades or UCAS Points you need to get a place however we all have our own individual targets that we have/can set! EXAMPLE '' Kings gave Mary and Offer to do Bio Medical Science and she needs a ABB, But she knows that her target is A*AA''  
The targets that you set NEED to be clear, achievable and SMART( if you do business you know but if not google smart targets). There is no point what so ever to set silly and unattainable targets! You will be wasting time! By all means if you work extremely hard aim high there nothing wrong with it. But if you know you may not be the most proactive person and you haven't really cracked the code to success please be realistic. EXAMPLE '' Tom is predicted a D in English and isnt the most proactive person & doeskin take much interest in the subject but is aiming for an A*'' Im not saying you shouldn't aim high but always be REALISTIC! 
When setting targets always keep 1. the amount of time you have 2. how hard you are willing to work 3. can you keep your progress measured 4. how can you measure your achievement & 5. is it achievable 
Always take in to consideration other things that may occur during that time eg. Work, Birthdays, Rest days, Set Backs etc. 

GETTING ORGANISED 




I cannot stress enough the importance of organisation! I like to see things on paper rather then keeping this in my head. Get yourself a notebook, a yearly diary, a planner, a whiteboard, post it notes! Anything that works best for you! I personal write now everything day to day in my 2015 diary and its so helpful! I write weekly targets, appointments, important dates in there so I always know exactly whats happening every single day and everywhere I am! 
Clear a space in your room or in your house and dedicate it to your work! 
Set Days or times when you revise, Personally Im a creature of the night! I prefer to work at night and this works for me! Another thing is that I no longer work on Sundays so I have a day to chill and get some stuff done! 
I have a white board in my room and I just write things I need to remember that week or month etc. 
But getting organised is crucial You need to really plan your time carefully! You don't have to party every weekend and watch Reality shows all day long instead of doing work! lool

STAYING PROACTIVE & MOTIVATED 

To be Honest this is something that I cannot teach you! Motivation comes from you! My personal motivation comes from God and the Bible! The daily Bible verse constantly keeps me going and active! Also just knowing the outcome of my hard work! for example when loads of people are watching, reading and supporting my youtube & blog Im motivated to be consistent with posts! With school work I always keep in mind the amount of opportunities and change that university is going to bring me! also I seriously hate my sixth form and desperately want to leave lol that's where most my motivation comes from!
So just THINK what will university do for you? What doors will open? What changes will it make? How much will your life change? 

Im sure once you have a goood think about it im sure you will be motivated!

EXAMS, REVISION & DEADLINES


I dont know anyone who enjoys exam season lol its just stressful but it has to happen! I will be doing a FULL blog post on Exam Stress, Revising  and Deadlines very soon so stay tuned for that one!

STUDENT FINANCE & NHS BURSARY



So how will you afford to pay rent and live a comfortable life in university? Everyone normally applies for Student Finance (link below) You don't actually have to have an offer to apply because you can change the university at any time. On student Finance you can apply for a maintenance loan or a grant. The money is usually paid at the beginning of each term but its so important that you apply on time so you get your money on time and you don't struggle lol.
People studying NHS Funded course can apply for the NHS Student Bursary (link below). This is prop the longest longest longest application ever! I would defo say you do it ASAP Because of how long it takes and you need to be accepted by the NHS To further your Student Finance! 



 GETTING EXTRA MONEY   

We all want more money especially in university, there are SO many scholarships and bursary out there for students! The first thing I would say you do, if you haven't already have a look at the bursary page on the unis you have applied for and see if you meet the requirements! There always additional money out there for you to get! The scholarship hub (link below) have so many bursary available! 
Also GET A JOB! Even though a lot of people already have jobs its always good to have an extra source of income! Even if you only work 6 hours a week its still money! 

 ACCOMMODATION 

Where are you going to live? The vast majority of first year students stay on campus for their first year. First year students usually have priority when it comes to accommodation but you have to apply on time! 
If you are not staying in halls there are a lot of websites you can use to find a private home (links below)! You really need to take time to look at your accounts to see where/ how you can afford to live! if you know you can afford a studio flat dont bother looking your just going to upset yourself! 
Personally I'm staying in London and constantly look for affordable accommodation! living in London isn't cheap so I am literally comparing and search for places within my budget!   

MONEY 

Money management! I will be doing an entire blog post & video on how to make and save money very soon so I wont bore you with that now! 


USEFUL LINKS
University Statistics 
10 Tips on University 
My Fav Motivational Song
League Table
Maintenance loan
Compare The Uni
Scholarships & Bursary 
NHS Bursary
Student Finance  
Accommodation for Students 
Tips on Private Renting 
Zoopla Student 
Rightmove Student 




SUBSCRIBE TO MY CHANNEL BACK TO POSTING NEXT WEEK >> http://t.co/rutwE7XiGn

Click the Contact page if you have anymore questions! 
Thank you Comfort & Michelle for the idea for writing this post! xx

Thank you xx
Hope you guys enjoyed reading Hope you guys found this post helpful! 
Keep up to date with me!
Twitter  Instagram  Tumblr  Bloglovin ♥ Youtube

With love x



6 comments:

  1. Love this! It really motivated me to start revising. Where did you but your flash cards from btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks You! Hope it helped you! & they are from WHSmith x

      Delete
  2. I'm a final year student! I would have loved to see something like this before I started uni!

    Well done xx


    check out my blog http://lifeofdemsxoxo.blogspot.co.uk/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! There is hardly any post out there! Even in YouTube!
      Will do love x

      Delete
  3. its really working...http://skylifecambridge.ca/ you can visit that for any real estate agent

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very good idea. Students can easily prepare for university study. You described each part of the study very well.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Pages

About Me

test

Welcome to the SHE BOSS DIARIES. Learn how to be a boss in life & business! #sheboss Is a movement created by Sinmi Adekola, owner of SinmisBeautique. So join our community of she bosses!

Latest Tweets

Follow @SinmiAdekola

Dealing with Anxiety

This is a topic that I've wanted to discuss for so long. Anxiety is something that many of us women deal with but I'll let you ...

Followers